Sunday, October 2, 2011

John Proctor; Hero or Stooge?

        Such a title that is, besides the fact that I believe he could be both. In a way, John Proctor's character was so hypocritical. He does many foolish things like a stooge to the Puratants, such as commit adultery and have an affair with Abigail. However, he doesn't care, tries to fix it and tries to keep it a secret. I believe he does it in sake of his morals such as a hero. As I see it, if the community would find that out, it would be complete disastrous. Maybe he knows this will happen also, and tries to dodge that by denying the affair. Since Abigail is so much in love with John, that she will do anything to get John. Such as commit witchcraft on Goody Proctor. This tells me that she would also tell the community about their affair if she really wanted to. In this case, I believe John Proctor is a stooge for just leaving Abigail. Instead maybe he should have laid it on her softly and not so harsh. I mean, you cant just lead someone on, and leave them hanging? Its not just fair. So if someone were to make me vote if John Proctor is a her or stooge, I would simply mark both.
     

1 comment:

  1. You didn't talk much about the end of John's life as he either foolishly/heroically rips up the sheet in which it shows he plead guilty, what do you think about that portion of the story; was he heroic or a stooge in that sense?
    _Charlotte Pellegrini

    ReplyDelete