Thursday, September 15, 2011

Arrival...There Goes My Neighborhood.

          My neighborhood; the best way to describe it? Somewhere, I don't fit in. Everyone expects me to be this loud, "ghetto", girl because I live on 103rd and Lowe. A place that's 5 minutes from Beverly, yet 5 minutes from Roseland. My style, my brains, the way I walk; is just way different from everyone else here.
          In my neighborhood, you see boys with their pants down to their ankles, girls with every color of the rainbow in their hair, where you always see a boy running after a girl because she looks good to them. Somewhere I don't fit in. Where you see people always on their porch just gossiping, and garbage everywhere. Somewhere I don't fit in.
         Before I came to Whitney Young, I did fit in. I thought everything they did was normal. Now, I see a whole different world. Where everyone doesn't wear the same clothes, not always fighting, and respecting each other with manners.
          But for now, there's nothing for me to do about it, because....welp, that's just my neighborhood.

4 comments:

  1. What do you consider ghetto and normal? Because the way you described it seems to based upon their dress code and the way they appear...i fell you never turly know a person until you talk to them and get to know them and i've seen plenty of girls at Whitney Young with different unique colors of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Darvisha. Where you live truly doesn't define a persons personality everyone is different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I read your blog and noticed that everything that happens in your neighborhood happens in mine. It's just the level of maturity that's different you know? A lot of things that happen in our hoods are based on ignorance. The hood is all some people know. It's also all they'll ever be. You and I however, have seen more than just where we're from. We've seen where we want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darvisha: true; when I think of ghetto, that's what I think of.
    Kionis: EXACTLY! EXACTLY

    ReplyDelete